Home

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Feeling Crafty {Car Pillow Tutorial}


Okay so tonight I felt like making something, so i dug around in my fabrics to see what I could scrounge up. As usual I decided to make something for Izaiah.  Since I am in the midst of planning a redo of his baby nursery to a new big boy room themed "ready, set, go", why not go ahead and stark tackling this big project. Just so you can get an idea of what color scheme I have in mind, here are some swatches of coordinating fabrics I will be using throughout his room.

So tonight I decided to make a car shaped throw pillow to go on his bed. Let me mention that this was the first 3 dimensional item i have ever sewn.  It didn't turn out perfect, but there is something about its janky look that adds to its juvenile purpose--so works out perfect for my little boys room. Do I think I will make another one? Hmmm...probably not...and if I do it will be made out of regular fabric and not the stretch minky fabric I used for this one.
So here is the run down...I tried to take a few photos thru the cursing and mad search for the scissor several times (am I the only one that mysteriously loses the scissors 2-3X in each sewing project I take on?)

                                    First I drew out a pattern to go by (don't make fun i'm not an artist)

Then I layed out my back panel fabric (white minky) and traced the car pattern onto the back.

I did this for both the front and back panel and cut them out...as well as cut out the circles for the wheels and the window panels.....and the strip that goes all the way around to connect the front and back of the pillow.

Then I sewed the wheels and the windows and hand sewed on buttons....not pictures sewed a ribbon stripe you will see in completed project.

Now this is where the poo starts to hit the fan.  Put right sides together of your strip and front panel and wrap all the way around the car pinning it together then sew....Way Trickier than it sounds.....Then you will repeat this sewing the back panel to the other side of the strip connecting your front and back panels of the car...don't forget to leave an open spot to stuff...then sew it back up....
The end Result

 Now this was a very hard project to tutorial, just because I am a Lazy Crafter. I'm not big on measuring out or pinning as much as I should. I just start sewing and see what comes out in the end. Anyways If you would like to try and follow another tutorial I found on a car pillow you can follow the link below, and she does a great job of breaking it down!
http://www.noodle-head.com/2010/06/car-pillow-tutorial.html

Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Vacation cushions may avoid fretboard and back-pain and may create your trip a lot more relaxed and pleasurable. We can help you select the right vacation cushion!car pillow

    ReplyDelete